Peter Hyman is head teacher and co-founder of School 21, a pioneering new 4 to 18 school that opened in Stratford, East London in 2012.
The school’s aim is to prepare children for the 21s century and it has a number of distinct design features:
- A small, all-through school where each child gets personal support
- Well-being at the heart of the curriculum so every child can grow
- Oracy/speaking curriculum and pedagogies so every child can think deeply and find their voice. Working with Cambridge University to provide a diagnostic tool for oracy
- Project based, enquiry learning so that students can produce superb outcomes for real world audiences
- Integration of new technology
- A new role for the 21st century teacher in a collaborative, less hierarchical culture.
Peter Hyman started in schools as a teaching assistant 10 years ago. Before working in education he was a strategist for Prime Minister, Tony Blair for 9 years.
He is author of One out of Ten, From Downing Street Vision to Classroom Reality.